Last night I baked some of my old favorites… Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (in muffin form) and Mandelbrodt (a.k.a. mandel bread). Growing up, we could always count on Donna to be in the kitchen baking one of the two special treats. If she wasn’t baking them, we would be requesting them. My favorite banana bread had chocolate chips (shocking that I love anything with chocolate), and my favorite madel bread did not include nuts… nuts take away from the chocolate!
I started with the Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins following this recipe:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, oil, yogurt and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in bananas and chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
I substituted butter for the vegetable oil and vanilla Greek yogurt for the plain yogurt because that is what I had on hand.
You know the drill:
Combine the ingredients, mix them up (used the hand mixer for this one- then remembered why I love my mix-master so much!)
Poured the batter into one mini-muffin pan and one regular muffin pan and put them in the oven:
Mini muffins out of the oven, on the cooling rack:
Regular muffins out of the oven:
Kim… these are for you. Sorry- no chocolate frosting.
Next time, I plan to make my mom’s Banana Bread recipe that my fabulous bridesmaids included in my cook book:
I’ll have to stock up on shortening for this one : )
I then baked the Mandel Bread:
I used Donna’s recipe, which is her mother Esther’s recipe, that they have both followed for many years:
Again, mixed everything up, this time using the mix-master:
Yummy delicious Mandel Bread that reminds me of my childhood.
I’m going to drop some off for Donna so she can be my official taste-tester!